BULLDOGS AND HAMILTON CMHA PROMOTE “TALK TODAY”
The Hamilton Bulldogs are again pleased to be teaming up with the Hamilton CMHA (Canadian Mental Health Association) to promote the annual Talk Today game Saturday February 3rd at 7 pm against the Mississauga Steelheads at FirstOntario Centre.
The goal is to raise awareness about the importance of mental health. The awareness campaign is part of the ongoing commitment by OHL clubs and local CMHA Ontario branches to implement Talk Today. Launched in 2014, Talk Today is a partnership between the OHL and CMHA to provide mental health support to players and raises awareness about mental health and suicide throughout OHL communities.
CMHA Branches and teams are collaborating to hold game-day events across the country for Talk Today, a project that aims to promote the mental health of young athletes and raise awareness about mental health and suicide prevention.
- We’re extremely grateful to partner with the Bulldogs and the OHL to host a Talk Today events to increase public awareness and to promote mental health in this community.
- Talk Today provides mental health support and raises suicide awareness.
- Members of the Bulldogs play leadership roles within the community and players, particularly, are excellent role models who positively influence young fans and their families.
- By hosting this event, Hamilton CMHA is helping eliminate the stigma and discrimination associated with mental health issues and encouraging discussion within the community about mental health.
Key Messages – Youth Mental Health
- One in five youth struggles with their mental health.
- In Canada, suicide is second leading cause of death for young people between the ages of 10-24.
- In the U.S., suicide is the third leading cause of death among 15- to 24-year-olds.
Key Messages – Stigma, Discrimination And Mental Health
- The stigma and discrimination that surrounds mental health issues often keeps people from seeking the help they need when they need it most.
- Nearly 60 percent of youth 25 and under treated for a mental illness in the past year reported being affected by the impact of stigma.
- This Talk Today event aims to combat stigma by starting a conversation around mental health and encouraging young people to seek help when they need it.
For information on Bulldogs flex packs and single game tickets call 905-529-8500 or go to www.hamiltonbulldogs.com